The NFL and Twitter today announced a multi-year partnership extension that will deliver a host of new live programming, original sponsored content and more highlights to Twitter’s highly engaged audience just in time for the NFL’s 100th season.
Since announcing their first partnership agreement in 2013, the NFL has developed live programming and distributed on-demand content that captures Twitter’s unique features and appeals to its highly engaged audience.
The new deal will feature new live programming built around some of the NFL’s biggest events, more game highlights each week for fans, and unique sponsored content opportunities for brands.
• Live shows focused on NFL tentpole events – Uniquely produced for Twitter, six new live shows will capture the excitement and conversation around some of the NFL’s biggest events, including NFL Kickoff, the Thanksgiving games, the Conference Championships, the Super Bowl, the Scouting Combine and the NFL Draft while integrating entertaining conversations and trends sparked by these events on the platform.
• New content – In addition to the live shows, fans will see a host of new content throughout the year, including:
◦ Live pregame Q&As – Leading up to the kickoff of either a Thursday Night Football, Sunday Night Football, or Monday Night Football matchup each week, a featured NFL Media personality will take over the @NFL handle for a live Q&A with fans
◦ New NFL Twitter “Moments” – curated Twitter Moments featuring the best plays and tweets every week of the season and throughout the year
◦ Custom NFL Twitter Votes – users will be invited to vote each week on the hottest topics and takes burning through the NFL Twittersphere. Results will be incorporated into NFL Twitter and NFL Network shows.
◦ The Best Touchdowns and Celebrations – Each week, the NFL will produce custom “best touchdowns” and “best touchdown celebrations” highlight reels for Twitter
“We’re excited to renew our partnership with Twitter,” said Blake Stuchin, NFL Vice President of Digital Media Business Development. “Millions of people use Twitter every day to follow their favorite teams and players and participate in conversations about the NFL. We expect these new live shows to be among the most popular programs on Twitter, while serving to drive awareness and tune-in of our biggest tentpole events of the year.”
“We couldn’t be more excited to celebrate the NFL’s 100th season by kicking off a new multiyear collaboration that will include innovative ways to serve fans and our brand partners,” said TJ Adeshola, Head of US Sports Partnerships at Twitter. “Football fans around the world will now be able to engage with more NFL premium content on Twitter, which will inspire even more conversation year-round about the league.”